The most profitable tool in your toolkit.

If you’re a self-employed builder or tradesman, Taxd will help you get your refund as quickly as possible. With no hidden fees or commission.

Construction worker with headphones for communication.


What does it mean if I work in trade?

You can choose when you work, how much you are paid, and which clients you want to work for.

You might also come under the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) when working as a subcontractor.

You'll need to register for Self Assessment and file your tax return by 31 January, after the tax year ends.

The 21/22 tax year runs 6 April 2021 to 5 April 2022. So you'd need to file by 31 January 2023.

A screenshot of the Taxd product.

Before you start

You'll need to get some information...

You will need to get your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) from HMRC. You'll get it through the post after a couple of weeks, so keep the deadline in mind.

Then you'll need to keep track of all your earnings and expenses. Keep photos of receipts and invoices.

We'll soon have a way for you to track your earnings and expenses, super easily.

A screenshot of the Taxd product.


What is the CIS?

The Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) allows contractors to pay HMRC the estimated tax that a subcontractor might pay in the construction industry.

If you’re self-employed in the construction industry, it’s worth registering for the scheme. You will then only have 20% tax deducted from your salary.

If you're not registered, your deductions will be 30%. This also means you get a larger tax refund.

Read more about CIS
Icon of a book.

CIS applies to payments made by contractors to subcontractors.

If a subcontractor passes three criteria and is registered with HMRC, then they can receive the full gross pay. These are known as the business, turnover, and compliance tests.

For most people, all three conditions are not met. But by registering with HMRC you can still ensure the lower rate of 20% tax is deducted.

If as a subcontractor you then subcontract some jobs out, you will then become the contractor in that situation. You would then need to apply CIS deductions to the payments you are making. So, effectively, you can be a contractor and subcontractor at the same time!

A screenshot of the Taxd product.

Tracking expenses

What can I expense?

As a self-employed tradesperson you often need to buy your own equipment, tools, and uniform. You might also have business expenses such as legal, marketing, office equipment, and staff expenses.

All of this and more can be expensed through your Self Assessment tax return.

These expenses will be taken away from your earnings, and you only pay tax on your profits.

Expenses can be: tools, uniform, mileage, insurance, marketing, travel costs, and other fees.

Read about expenses
Icon of a book.

Expenses can include:

  • Tools, such as drills
  • Uniform, such as helmets, high-visibility clothing, goggles, work boots and tool belts.
  • Mileage, which is often overlooked and you can claim up to 45p per mile.
  • Insurance, such as your car, van, and tools insurance.
  • Marketing, such as advertisement and website costs.
  • Car, van and travel, such as vehicle insurance, fuel, MOT, and finance with respect to paying for your vehicle - if not claiming mileage allowance. Parking, train, and bus tickets are covered. But fines and travel between your home and main place of work are not included.
  • Accounting fees, such as the £50 Taxd fee!

If you buy an item or good that is used for both your business and in your personal life, then you can only claim allow expenses for the business cost or portion.

A screenshot of the Taxd product.

Your personalised digital tax assistant

Taxd will feel like you’re having a conversation with your own accountant. (Perhaps even more fun.)

Thumbnail of a video showcasing Taxd.

Swift completion

With your permission, we link your Taxd account to HMRC to make you even faster.

Full compliance with UK law

Tax law can be daunting. So we help you learn and understand it all during your Self Assessment.

Maximum tax efficiency

Taxd covers more ground than a human accountant. This way, it can help you pay the least tax possible.

Start your tax return

Through Taxd, you can submit your return to HMRC and ensure you are maximising all your deductions as well as any reliefs. This includes any private pension contributions you may be making!

Start for free